Consultative Council issues 6 points and a new timeline released for completing elections2 min read
The National Consultative Assembly, which convened in a virtual meeting tonight to discuss the completion of the remaining seats in the House of the People, has issued six resolutions, including the new March 15 deadline.
Read below the press release from the Assembly
The National Consultative Assembly held a virtual meeting on February 24, 2022 to discuss the completion of the Parliamentary by-elections, as the deadline for finalizing the elections looms in 25 February 2022.
The meeting was chaired by the Prime Minister Mohamed Hussein Roble, and attended by the Presidents of the Member States of Puntland’s Said Abdullahi Deni, Galmudug’s Ahmed Abdi Kariye Qoor Qoor, Jubaland’s Ahmed Mohamed Islam, South West’s Abdiaziz Hassan Mohamed Laftagareen , Hirshabelle’s Ali Abdullahi Hussein Gudlawe and the Governor of Banadir Region Mr. Omar Mohamud Mohamed Filish.
At the meeting, the National Consultative Assembly discussed issues such as: the election situation, the timing of the conclusion of the Parliamentary elections, the resolution of the issue of the second Jubaland elections in Garbaharey and the drought situation in the country.
The Assembly commended the progress made in the election process, with all 54 members of the Upper House and 175 members of the House of Representatives elected so far, representing 71% of the total number of members in both houses.
After deliberations, the National Consultative Assembly expressed its displeasure that the election of the members of the House of the People of the Federal Parliament did not take place on the scheduled date of 25 February 2022. The Assembly acknowledged that there were several obstacles that caused the delay including; Drought situation in the country which has had a major impact on regional governments, escalating security tensions in some constituencies and financial constraints on election funds.
In view of the above, the National Consultative Assembly agreed on the following points:
1. That the election of all the remaining seats in the House of the People be completed by 15 March 2022
2. The Council agreed that the Prime Minister, in consultation with the President of the Jubaland State, should send a committee to assess the situation in the second Jubaland elections in Garbaharey, comprising from the Office of the Prime Minister and the Electoral Commissions, to advise on the most likely route for this election to take place.
3. The Council emphasized the importance of maintaining a 30% quota for women.
4. The Council expressed its deep concern over the worsening drought situation in the country and called on the Somali people and the international community to increase assistance to the Somali people affected by the drought.
5. The Council thanks the Somali people for their patience and support in holding the elections.
6. The National Consultative Assembly commends the role and support of the International Community which is necessary to complete the elections in the country.