Somali regional leaders issue a joint statement on political dispute2 min read
The presidents of Somalia’s five regional administrations have issued a joint statement on the dispute between outgoing President Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo and Prime Minister Mohamed Hussein Roble.
Presidents of the Federal Member States of Puntland, Southwest, Jubaland, Galmudug and Hir Shabelle; President Said Abdullahi Deni, President Abdiaziz Hassan Mohamed ”Laftagareen”, President Ahmed Mohamed Islam, President Ahmed Abdi Kariye “Qoorqoor” and President Ali Abdullahi Hussein (Ali Gudlawe) tonight discussed the security and political situation in Somalia.
The Presidents of the Federal Member States are saddened by the recurring divisions of the Federal Institutions of Somalia which do not serve the national interest and could lead to instability, insecurity and delay in this transition period of Somalia. Therefore, the Presidents of the Federal Member States propose the following:
1. Resolve all disputes through dialogue, and refrain from making any further statements to resolve the dispute. Also, consider the implementation of the Provisional Constitution of the Federal Government of Somalia.
2. Respect and implement the agreements reached between the Heads of the Federal Government and the Member States on 17 September 2020, 27 May 2021 and 22 August 2021. Strengthen the successful cooperation between the Heads of the Federal Government and Member States to facilitate and conduct elections in the country.
3. That the investigation of Ikran Tahlil Farah be conducted in accordance with the law of the land, with the independence of the relevant authorities.
4. The State presidents call on the Technical Committees for the implementation of the elections at both levels (FEIET and SIEIT) to carry out their duties in accordance with the electoral procedures signed on 22 August 2021.
5. The State Presidents call on the Somali people as a whole to work together for stability and for the country to have free and fair elections so that the country can prosper in all areas.
6. The Federal State Presidents call on the international community to expedite technical and financial support for the conduct of the elections.
7. Finally, the Presidents of the Federal Member States will convene in Garowe on 21 – 23 September 2021 to discuss the acceleration of the elections and the overall situation in the country.
1 thought on “Somali regional leaders issue a joint statement on political dispute”